Memorial Day is just around the corner, and this morning I had the privilege of heading back to Fox 45 in Baltimore to share a few ways to make the most of this holiday. So if you haven’t completed your holiday plans, here are 4 quick, fun and festive Memorial Day activities for the family.
#1 – Make festive foods
Make colorful and festive foods like berry skewers or a fruit salad. In this case (thank you Pinterest), we made berry skewers in the shape of the American flag (using blueberries, marshmallows and raspberries), as well as a blueberry/raspberry mis sprinkled with coconut flakes. Super easy and it took the kids maybe 10 min to do with only a little help/direction from mommy.
#2 – Sip family-friendly beverages
- Colorful drinks make everything better! Enjoy colorful, bubbly beverages – see if you can grab them in red, white and blue to make it even more festive
- We love adding fresh fruit because it’s fun and healthy. Or, you can simply just pour it over ice…nothing like a good, ice cold drink during the summer months.
#3 – Play with Made in the U.S.A. toys
- Find toys made in the USA. These toys are not only eco-friendly but also eco-awesome!
- Get creative…sometimes the best creativity can be shown by simply using household items like paper towel tubes and cereal boxes
- The kids had so much fun with these new YOXO toys!
#4 – Send letters/cards to soldiers
Memorial Day is a great opportunity to teach kids about the true meaning of Memorial Day. So this year, we decided to create/decorate cards to mail to those in the military.
- Show your appreciation for those in the armed forces by sending cards and letters to soldiers
Check out the full clip (with a close up of the toys and the letters to the soldiers) below:
*I was given a free set of the YOXO toys in order to showcase them during this Fox 45 interview. As always, all opinions are my own.